KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. The highest education level you pursue, the the better job you get. It also could help someone become more well-trained, confident, independent and creative.
In general, a good education system can lead to stable economic growth of country. However, education would be a dangerous thing in other words (Orr, 2004). The word has gone wrong is the result of education that alienates us from life in the name of human domination, fragments instead of unifies, overemphasizes success and careers, separates feeling from intellect and the practical from the theoretical, and unleashes on the world minds ignorant of their own ignorance (Orr, 2004: 17).
Furthermore, education is usually measured by grade, CGP and portfolios, which do not take into account behaviour, emotion, responsibility, morality and other factors. We need to rethink the importance of real education.
Education should make us prepare better for life through the ability to learn new things, the willingness to become a lifelong learner, becoming aware and taking on challenges, volunteering, practicing collective responsibility, sharing knowledge without boundary, collaborating with others and more besides.
It is this kind of education that can bring a secure and stable life in future. It could also make this social community and country peaceful and safe. Below are tips for parents to aim for in raising their children and for students to consider for deriving benefits from real education.
Tips for parents
- Be a good role model. It is important to keep on learning and share this with your children. Learning new things can be very meaningful and exciting.
- Provide a safe learning environment: Other than physically safe, the psychologically safe is crucial, for example, learners can safely make mistakes, and are willing to take risks asking questions or sharing knowledge (Chapper, 2010).
- Provide encouragement: Parental support is essential in the completion of some tasks or assignments.
- Communicate to the teacher and children: It’s hard for parents to commit time and energy, but talking to the teacher and listening to their children may help them to understand their children better and any issue or problem that they are facing.
- Continue learning: it’s also good for parents to keep learning new things.
- Guardian: Be supportive but do not take control of your children; instead assist them in taking charge of their learning.
Tips for students
- Learn new things and develop new skills: Outside the classroom, student need to continue learning new knowledge and skills, for instance, leadership, communicating well, time management, appreciating diversity, understanding ethical issues and something new that you are interested in.
- Step out of your comfort zone: Everyone should break out of your current comfort zone once in a while to keep you grow. Explore different extra curricula, adventure activities or attractive places. Don’t be afraid to take up some challenges in life.
“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”(Walsch, N. D.).
- Networking: Widen your circle of friends through networking. Other than a schoolmate or course mate, get involved in interacting with other people from a different background. Meeting different people not only can make you grow but also broaden your professional network in future.
“Surrounding yourself with awesome people is the best way to grow individually” (Wojcik, 2013)
- Know yourself and be happy: Knowing yourself means understanding your strengths and weaknesses, your passions and fears, your desires and dreams (Farnoosh). It also means respecting your values in life, your beliefs, your personality, your priorities, your moods, your habits, your magnificent body, and your relationships (Farnoosh). Spend some time with yourself, and acknowledge yourself very well, you will live more happily.
“Self-acknowledgement is the key to happiness.” (Rubin,G.)
- Use the Internet for learning: benefit from educational innovation through information and communication technology in learning. Collaborative learning, made possible by the Internet, will enhance your critical thinking.
Granados, J. (2015). Guni Global University Network for Innovation. Retrieved July 23, 2015, from GuniNetwork.org Web site:
Orr, D. (2004) Earth in Mind: on education, environment and the human prospect, Chicago, Island Press, 2nd Edition.
Clapper, T. C. (2010). Creating the safe learning environment. PAILAL, 3 (2), 1-6.
Walsch, N. D. BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved July 23, 2015, from BrainyQuote.com Web site: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/comfort_zone.html
Wojcik, C. (2013) Surround Yourself. Retrieved July 23, 2015, from Medium.com Web site: https://medium.com/@calebwojcik/surround-yourself-5436eaab543
Farnoosh. How to Get to Know Yourself in 5 Fool-Proof Steps Retrieved July 23, 2015, from ProlificLiving.com Web site: http://www.prolificliving.com/the-greatest-discovery-of-all-getting-to-know-yourself/
Rubin,G.(2011) The Key to Happiness: Know Yourself. Retrieved July 23, 2015, from GretchenRubin.com Web site: http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2011/12/the-key-to-happiness-know-yourself/